“I deeply believe in supporting organizations who make this world a much better and kinder place, and so I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate my own birthday than to rally people together to help me make a goal of $500 in donations for NAVS a reality.” – Ashley V
When NAVS supporter Ashley V. realized her birthday was approaching, she began to think of ways to celebrate her day. Usually, this would mean taking part in some of her favorite activities: a great vegan casserole, a glass of sparkling cider, and curling up on the couch to relax with her cats (and a little bit of Netflix, of course.) But she also wanted to use the day to help the animals, so she decided to take part in a growing trend—creating a Facebook birthday fundraiser for NAVS.
“I am a simple girl. I don’t need a fancy night out. What would make me even happier is if my family and friends would make a donation to NAVS in honor of my birthday this year, instead of gifts,” Ashley said of her decision to create a Facebook fundraiser for NAVS.
Sharing your birthday with NAVS is easy! Facebook walks you through the quick process of creating your own fundraiser here (make sure you’re logged in): https://www.facebook.com/fundraisers?birthday&source=help_center_how_to_create_birthday_fundraiser
Some helpful tips to make your Facebook birthday fundraiser as successful as possible:
- Create your fundraiser at least 2 weeks before your birthday. Give your friends and family plenty of time to donate before your birthday.
- Share your personal connection to the organization. When Ashley V created her post, she was sure to share her story and a bulleted list of the reasons she chose NAVS.
- Post reminders closer to the date. You may have invited folks to donate when you created your fundraiser, but in the fast-moving world of social media, some of your network may have missed it–or they may need an extra nudge to donate. As your birthday gets closer, it’s helpful to post a reminder or two for those who haven’t had the chance to give.
- Have fun! Getting creative with your fundraiser is a great way to get more people involved. As a big fan of cosmetics, Ashley V decided to encourage her friends to donate to NAVS by making her birthday a raffle for a basket of cruelty-free products.
- And don’t forget to thank everyone who donated. This might seem obvious, but it’s important to at least send a quick Facebook message to everyone who donated to your fundraiser and thank them for supporting a cause that is close to you.